Child of Rock and Sunlight
order for 3,000 head of cattle and $11 in cash
The Heart of Pony Alice
A Texas Equalizer
everything he has on him and his six gun besides
Salt in the boot polish, dogs in the smoke house and a corral gate left open several times allowing the cattle to get out.
The Black McGloins Party
Nothing but potatoes
at the very least)
A ball of
string, $1.37 in cash and a jackknife with a broken blade.
Also a half fare ticket for one on the stage from McCall’s Crossing to
Dan Marvin and Toby Jencks
Left (which makes no sense considering he’s right handed)
The smell of
perfume/cologne/after shave in the air
Eau de Lavender de Romantique and Wildflowers in Spring for the Complete Gentleman
Johnny tells him that they’re gunfighters
A church dance
Lucas Hatcher and Wade Hackett
$2.00 a day
with a $10 deposit
25 with fair
hair and blue eyes
dark brown hair and pretty
and Tim Phillips
60 days in
$600 ($300 apiece)
Lamp in the Wilderness
(9), Dull Knife (7) and Running Nose (6)
Two boys and one girl
To harvest the squash
Trailing The Enemy
Dreams of Falcons
A Flying Machine
25c a bucket
Last Train For Charlie Poe
Blue and white checked
$2.00 cash or $3.00 trade (He’s not in the jewelry business)
Left – he eats European style
$600 (for the bull and a bottle of whiskey if he so desires)
Cut The Wolf Loose
They’re wearing each other’s hats
Six months ago
The Silver Dollar and Lannigan’s
#s 4, 7 and
Steoptican – Scott, Winchester Rifle – Johnny, the sow - Jelly
100. What is the name of Jelly’s gift?
101. Where does the young artist want to go?
San Francisco (and the world from there)
102. What killed her parents and left her with a bad heart?
103. What is the name of the young man that is killed in front of the saloon?
104. What is wrong with Mr. Mumford?
He’s blind and crippled (in a wheelchair)
105. What medicinal plant does Jelly need?
106. Besides his gift for Murdoch what did Jelly buy with his hard-earned money?
A new pair of boots
107. What does Murdoch wind up receiving as gifts from his sons and Jelly?
A small painting done by the young artist, the “L” off of the rifle stock and Arabella the sow
108. Where is the bank located at which Scott has just conducted business for Murdoch?
109. What is the name of the girl Scott helps?
110. What is the name of her father-in-law?
111. Where do the Foleys intend to meet to coordinate their search for the girl?
112. What is painted on the sign at the abandoned way station Scott takes her to?
Stage Line – Oak Flat Station
113. How much does the girl’s father-in-law offer her for the baby she’s about to have?
114. What name is the baby given?
Martha Ann Foley
115. What’s the name of the blacksmith with whom Murdoch is conducting business?
116. What is Lizzie’s proper name?
117.What was Lizzie’s husband’s name?
118.What does Lizzie find in the house that reminds her of her daughter?
A raggedy Ann type doll
119.What is Lizzie’s daughter’s name?
120.Name two of Lizzie’s “boys”.
121.What is the cause of Lizzie’s death?
A beam from her burning house falls on her
122.What is the name of the leader of the rowdies that come into the saloon?
123.Why doesn’t Johnny escape after helping the Kentuckians?
Because he’s wounded in the leg
124.What does Chad save Johnny from?
125.What, reportedly, is Chad and Callie’s last name?
126.What word does Callie use for ambushed?
127.How far is the road to Lancer from the camp the three of them are in?
128.How far from Lancer are they when Johnny sends Callie to the ranch?
129.What is the date of the entry in the book (journal?) Murdoch has that tells of the death of a Buford at the hands of a Lancre?
January 8, 1859
130.What is the name of the Lancre who killed him?
Blind Man’s Bluff
131.What is the name of the man at the line shack?
132.What kind of animal does Mattie ride?
133.What is distinctive about it?
134.What is the distance between Johnny and his bushwhackers?
135.Where does Mattie hide Johnny when she pulls him out of the water?
136.Where is Mattie’s cabin located?
137.What is the name of the “town” it’s located near?
138.What does the note Mattie leaves Johnny say?
luv you. Mattie.”
139.What is the name of the only woman in the poker game?
140.What is the name of the assayer’s wife?
141.What is the assayer’s name?
142.How much money is Jelly to get as an initial payment on the mine interest?
143.Where does Johnny drive Jelly?
To San Francisco
144.What is the name of the hotel Jelly will be staying at?
The Majestic Hotel
145.How much money did Jelly keep from the price of the ore for “walking around money”?
146.How much was the mine stock selling for in San Francisco and New York?
Blue Skies for Willie Sharp
147.What is the bet that the Lancers and Jelly have?
put money into a hat and the one who catches the biggest fish wins it all
148.How does Johnny do his best fishing?
out his pistol and shoots at them (didn’t hit anything though)
149.What is Willie’s grandfather’s name?
150.What is the name of the town where he is reportedly living?
151.Who “owns” the town?
152.Why is Scott lost in the badlands?
some bad water and became disoriented
153.Name the three people that find him.
Samuel Calhoun, his daughter Sarah and a man named Rufus
154.What part of the supplies being given to them does the leader of the group reject in favor of vegetables?
155.What incident are these people fleeing from?
during a strike at a mine
156.How much is the reward for the leader of the group?
157.Where did the incident they’re fleeing from take place?
158.Name the people Sheriff Sam Jayson wants for his posse.
Jackson & son, and the Widow Evans’ son
159.What does Jelly feed the children while waiting for his stew to cook?
One dried apricot apiece
160.What is the name of Scott’s special friend in the group?
The Great Humbug
161.How much money did the little girl in the audience “win”?
162.How much money is land worth right now according to Scott?
About 14c an acre
163.What is the name of Murdoch’s friend who lives in the mountains?
164.How much money does Murdoch give his friend for his worthless land?
165.What is Teresa doing while she sits on the porch?
166.What is the name of Uncle Dan’l Drew’s company?
The Great Spanish Wells Land and Exploration Company
167.Where is the land located that Murdoch buys from his friend?
168.What time is the stage that the con man (medicine man) is supposed to be on?
169.How much money did Buttermere leave for Lavinia’s schooling?
170.What did Buttermere have when he left Lancer?
Saddlebags full of soap and a Lancer horse
The High Riders
171.How much is Scott offered to hear his father out?
and all expenses paid to California
172.How much is Johnny offered for “an hour of your time”?
173.How far is Johnny from Morro Coyo when the stage picks him up?
174.How many vaqueros does Murdoch tell the boys he used to have?
175.How many vaqueros does he have now?
they’re the “cream of the crop” – the best ones)
176.What is the denomination of the coins that Johnny tells Scott he’s been finding all over the place?
177.How does Johnny refer to his brother as Scott and Cipriano prepare to lead a group into the mountains presumably on a hunt for Pardee?
A couple of cowhands and a “tin soldier”
178.What time do Pardee and his bunch plan to raid Lancer?
179.What are Johnny’s “famous last words” after the battle?
“I can make it”
180.What is the name of Murdoch’s lawyer?
181.Who bids $15 on a horse at the beginning of the story?
182.Who follows up with a $20 bid?
183.How many of the people in attendance at the auction only came to watch Murdoch and Aggie bid against each other?
According to Johnny it’s 90%
184.How much do the horses Murdoch was bidding on finally go for?
185.What is Aggie’s full name?
186.What was Aggie’s husband’s name?
187.What did he call his special chair?
188.Who is Aggie engaged to?
Jelly Hoskins American Dream
189.Where is Murdoch when the story opens?
190.What kind of animal does Jelly believe is a misfit?
A Brahma bull
191.How much does Jelly wind up paying for his new “friend”?
192.What does he name it?
193.What is the name of the man from town that thinks Jelly has bought a freak?
194.How much does he offer Jelly to take it off his hands?
195.What must you say to get the animal moving?
196.What does the cow eat that makes her sick?
Lots and lots of carrots
197.What was the name of the circus owner to whom Jelly’s friend belonged?
198.What is the name of Murdoch’s friend who’s running the experimental prison farm?
199.Where is the land located that Murdoch donated for the farm?
200.How far is it from the ranch?
201.What was the dream Murdoch and his friend shared?
experimental prison farm where there were no cells and the men could be outdoors
with good food to eat and clean fresh air
202.What is Ox’s real name?
203.What did Ox do to end up in prison?
He badly beat three men who were tormenting an old drunk
204.Of which court was Billy a ward from the ages of 6 – 12?
El Paso, Texas
205.Name the three board members who “visit” the camp.
(tall and slim), Mrs. Stafford and Dan Oliver (overweight)
Shadow of a Dead Man
206.What object has Jelly just “repaired”?
A watering trough
207.Whose land has just been taken over by land grabbers from back east?
208.How far from Lancer is Murdoch’s land at Cabot Springs?
209.What does Johnny say is the only thing you can grow on that land?
210.How is Harner’s horse injured?
fetlock has been scraped with a knife
211.How much does Johnny sell the land for?
$1.00 and some homemade biscuits
212. How much is the cost of the broken plate glass window at the saloon?
213. Which town is it in?
214. Who is Murdoch’s VIP guest?
something – he’s the Lieutenant Governor of the state
215. How much money did Scott pledge to have the jail built?
216. Who owns the saloon and what relation is he to Charlie?
Charlie “adopted” him when he was a kid.
217. How much will Charlie charge to build the jail?
day and Lancer furnishes the tools
218. What does the sign say that’s hung on the jail at the end?
Chas. Wingate 1871
219. How much money has Murdoch just deposited in the bank?
220. What does Jelly call Murdoch’s cigars?
221. Name the eight boys Jelly is taking care of. Extra point for each one you can describe.
Willy – about 14 with red hair
– the older of two blonds
a Chinese boy
smaller redhead probably about 12
small blond about 6 or 7 years old
222. What, besides food and shoes, did Jelly steal from the Lancers?
Teresa’s pearls that she got for her last birthday
223. What does the littlest boy give Johnny as a farewell present?
A cat’s eye marble
224. How much did the judge fine Jelly for breaking jail?
225. How is he going to repay Murdoch?
day for 20 days and he can stay on if he wants to
The Lion and the Lamb
226. What’s in the wheelbarrow that the rowdies move into the street?
227. How much did the tailor tell them his sign cost?
228. What happens to Johnny while hazing the bull?
His leg cramps up
229. What do the Initial CCGA stand for on the banner hanging in the Great Room at Lancer?
Cattle Grower’s Association
230. Who is the cattleman who makes threats regarding the sheep while at Lancer?
231. Where is Johnny during most of this story?
232. How much tax money is bound for Sacramento?
233. What time is it when Murdoch is ready to let the town pay the ransom?
234. What does Scott tell Johnny this whole incident was about?
A man and a shadow from his past
235. What are Johnny and Scott doing when Murdoch and Jelly arrive at the end?
236. Which Lancer was not happy about the upcoming wedding?
237. Where was the wedding to take place?
238. What is the name of the bride?
239. How long ago did Macall break out of jail before arriving at Lancer?
240. How much did Macall pay Jenny for the clothes she gave the bride to be?
$5.00 (in gold)
241. How many times did Jenny have to hit Josh before he passed out? (With a piece of lumber no less.)
242. Why does Johnny tell Scott they’re leaving the saloon?
“’Cause I smell trouble and I don’t feel like any.”
243. How much does a beer and a steak cost?
Six bits (75c)
244. Which character is introduced in this episode?
Dewdrop the gander
245. Where is the herd Johnny and Scott are driving going to bed down?
246. Whereabouts in Texas was Jelly seven to eight years ago?
247. How does Murdoch lose his eyesight?
fly in his face from a rifle shot hitting the forge where he was working
248. How much money does Jelly tell Teresa he has in his gear and what are they to do with it if anything happens to him?
they’re to buy a “good bred colt for the ranch”
249. Who are the three men that Johnny meets up with when he disembarks from the stage?
Ishem, Indian and Sexton Joe
250. What “task” does Warburton require of Johnny before he’ll allow him to join his group?
has to knock the pennant off the top of the tent
251. What is “Tallie” short for?
252. In what African country was Warburton once set upon by a group of dervishes?
253. What is Sexton Joe’s last name?
254. What are Ishem’s last words to Johnny?
“Pride in my trade.”
Angel Day and her Sunshine Girls
255. Who’s not going to be responsible for any “sloppy work”?
256. What “childish” act is Johnny seen performing in this episode?
He tightrope walks on the corral fence
257. Where was Marshal Thurmond from?
258. How much does Carl Bolton tell Murdoch he’ll take to talk Angel into letting Teresa stay at Lancer? (It’s to “mend her broken heart”.)
259. What is the name of the mining town on the Nevada border that Murdoch is to meet Bolton at in three days?
260. What is Jim Harper’s valise made of?
261. Where is Morro Coyo in relation to the camp?
262. What is the name of Bobby’s deceased fiancée?
263. Who’s a “grade A candidate for the hangman”?
Man Without A Gun
287. How much does Zeek the barber charge for a haircut in the beginning?
288. Whose place did Clay Criswell buy in Green River?
289. How is Val injured?
Hay bales fall on him and injure his leg
290. Name four businesses that are located in Green River.
The bank, the General Store, the saloon, livery stable and barber shop
291. How many children did Val leave fatherless when he was forced to kill Lone Crow?
292. What has Val been buying from these children?
Blankets that he turns around and sends to an orphanage in San Francisco
293. How much does Zeek charge for a haircut after Johnny has gone elsewhere?
Chase A Wild Horse
294. What is Johnny’s friend’s name?
295. What was Johnny supposed to be doing when he and his friend went after the horses?
Finishing the fence line and helping Scott with the surveying
296. How long has it been since Johnny drew anything on his pay?
297. What does Johnny want in return for breaking the stallion for the liveryman?
His father’s watch back
298. What happens to Scott when he tries to leave the ranch to get help while they’re “under siege”?
He was shot by Davey Stryker
299. How does the episode end?
With Murdoch and Johnny riding toward Black Mesa and a herd of mustangs Murdoch had seen
300. What is Teresa trying to do while Johnny sits on Barranca and teases her?
Free a calf from some brush it was trapped in
301. What is Murdoch’s friend’s name?
Why does this friend need the partnership with Murdoch?
Because he’s being forced to retire and owes the town he works for a lot of money
303. What is the name of the prisoner?
304. What is the name of the deputy that is killed?
305. What is the name of the boy whose mother’s funeral the Lancers and Teresa are attending?
306. What is the boy’s father’s name?
307. What has the boy made for himself out of a block of wood?
A toy pistol
308. Who accompanies Murdoch and the boy to Blood Rock and who stays home?
Scott goes and Johnny stays home
309. What does the dying man say to the boy at the end of the show?
“Go home kid. Where you belong.”
310. When does Murdoch plan on giving the boy the knife his father stole for him?
When Ben is old enough to understand/appreciate exactly how much it cost.
311. What is Scott doing when Teresa comes in bearing a tray with a sandwich on it?
Working on the books
312. Who kidnaps Scott at gunpoint right out of the Great Room of the house?
Jed Lewis and Rick Hardy
313. Where did he last see them?
314. How many men died in the failed escape attempt?
315. What does Dan Cassidy promise to send to Scott once he and Sarah are settled again?
A picture of the 83rd before the capture and ill fated escape attempt
Welcome to Genesis
316. What is the cause of Jelly’s injuries?
A mountain lion attacked him as he checked on the nervous horses
317. What is the name of the town Murdoch had to travel to to find a doctor?
318. Who was the owner of the Mining company?
319. What is the name of the lady who took the Lancers and Jelly in?
A Mrs. Lockwood
320. Name the patients/parents and gifts that came to Banning at the end.
– a pie
– apple jelly
– a side of bacon
Luther – a pocketknife
Lockwood – an apology (her first name is Sarah)
Little Darling of the Sierras
321. How many games of horseshoes have Murdoch and Scott played when Johnny arrives home with the mail?
24 according to Murdoch. Scott didn’t say.
322. What was the name of the dog that Murdoch used to have?
323. What company made the player piano?
George Breck and Company in New York City
324. What piece of literature does Penny Rose recite at her father’s funeral much to the disgust/dismay of Aunt Hester?
The Wreck of the Hesperus
325. Name at least two of the items that come out of the piano at the end of the story.
of Cory & Lefts Industries
Another 100 shares of Cry and Lefts Industries
of Breckenridge Utilities
Ross Kelton manufacturing
326. What time is shown on the clock when the story opens?
327. What is the name of the town Murdoch travels to?
328. How much does Murdoch’s room cost him?
$3.00 a day including breakfast
329. Which room does he get? (Bonus point if you can say where it was located.)
He gets room
#3 which is the first door on the left at the top of the stairs
330. Murdoch and Haney disagree that it’s been 24 years, 18 months and eleven days since they’ve seen each other. One of them says it’s been 12 days. Which one says which?
Murdoch says it’s been 24 yrs, 18 months and eleven days. Haney says 12. (When you come right down to it it’s 25 years, six months and eleven or twelve days. Don’t know why they said 18 months.
331. What is the name of the man who owns the livery stable?
332. How much do the Blakes get from Scott after they shoot him?
$15 and a gold watch
333. Where did Scott follow the tracks of Teresa and her kidnappers to?
334. Name the four Blakes.
335. What name does Teresa give her kidnappers when they ask her who she is?
336. How much reward is being offered for the Blakes?
337. What name does Andy give the Lancers as his?
338. Where does Andy claim to be from and where does he say he’s really from when Scott questions him on his lack of a “good old Texas drawl”?
He says he’s from Laredo but he’s been living in Abilene, Kansas for a while.
339. The Lancer men are engaged in three different activities as this story opens. Who’s doing what?
loading the wagon.
munching on something and laughing at his brother.
Murdoch’s sitting on the wagon seat watching the activities in the street
340. Why does Johnny say the “escapee” won’t get very far?
Because the horse he’s riding is “crowbait’
341. What’s the name of the Justice of the Peace?
342. Whose store did the bandits try to rob?
The Widow Hargis (Murdoch says it’s a big mistake)
343. While waiting for Zee to join them at dinner Scott is attempting to play (he’s very rusty) what instrument? (Bonus point [1 each] if you can name the song and the composer.)
He’s attempting I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair by Stephen
344. What is the motto embroidered on the sampler the widow is holding when he finds her after Zee’s escape?
Where the Heart Is
345. According to Jelly how long did Scott live in Boston?
346. Where is the barbershop in relation to Harlan’s hotel?
street. You can see it from the
lobby when the boys stop out front.
347. What is the name of the town where Catherine Lancer died? (Actually she died outside of town but that’s a mere technicality here.)
348. How much money does Harlan give the Deegan brothers for expenses and how much more are they to get if they’re needed in court?
expenses and $500 more if they’re needed in court
349. How does Johnny describe Scott in the mirror scene?
according to his little brother, breathtaking, elegant and pretty
350. What two items does Jelly give to Murdoch and Johnny and who gets which?
Murdoch got Jelly’s railroad watch (from the Santa Fe) and Johnny got his (Jelly’s) grandfather’s flintlock
351. How does Johnny describe Jelly to Anna?
“A pretty impressionable guy”
352. What does Johnny bring Jelly while Jelly lies in bed?
A glass of
buttermilk and a plate of cookies
353. What does Teresa serve for breakfast the day Angus McGovern arrives?
(pancakes, hotcakes, griddlecakes)
354. What is poisoning the cattle?
355. Where did Anna used to work?
Border town saloons
Measure of a Man
356. What’s different about Johnny’s shirt?
sage/pine green, buttons at the top only and there’s no embroidery on it
357. What did Turk claim was wrong with his eyes when Johnny asked him to read out loud?
They were “dazzled by the sun”
358. How many shots does Johnny fire at the toy snake that pops out of Annabelle’s lunch pail?
Six (as far as we can tell with constant replays of that scene)
359. What lesson does Murdoch observe Johnny teaching?
Arithmetic/math (He was correcting Dan’l’s error)
360. What does the star say that the children present Johnny with?
Outstanding Teacher – Johnny Lancer
361. How does Murdoch injure his back?
He throws it out roping and throwing a steer
362. What is the name of Murdoch’s friend he wants to buy stock from?
363. Where does the friend live?
364. What is Murdoch charged with that earns him time in the Blessing Mine?
365. What does Murdoch give Clara to sell to get enough money to start over?
She’s to sell it to an honest dealer and get the money she needs.
366. Why should Clara go to Sacramento rather than Stockton?
Because it’s closer to Lancer
367. What character is Tom Neville reading about in the saloon?
368. What does Tom call Johnny’s friend?
A “Chili Bean”
369. How much reward does Neville, Sr. post for Johnny?
370. What does Mrs. Normill want from Murdoch?
Her daughter to be taken care of (One of his sons for a son-in-law)
371. What does Johnny give Lucrece at the end of the story?
A baby rabbit he found by the road
Scarecrow at Hackett’s
372. What is Mr. Hackett’s first name?
373. What is Judge Bates’ wife’s name?
374. What is the name of Silas’ horse?
375. Where, according to Weir, does Jelly’s sister live?
376. Where and how long ago did Weir has seen Johnny?
Ten years ago in Santa Fe